Friday, March 26, 2010

Latex - compile from PS -> PDF

I'm a total n00b (sp?) when it comes to Latex. Today, I had to compile a latex file with .eps files in it. When hitting the Typeset button in Emacs, there was an error: "Latex Error: Unknown graphics extension: .eps." What? Google searches were vague, difficult to interpret because I'm a n00b. I finally found some documentation that mentioned converting directly from Latex => PDF won't work when using EPS images. Instead, you need to convert from Latex => PS => PDF. OK, how do I do this??

This website offered the solution I was looking for: http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/help/faqs/latex/conversions. Basically, from the command line, you can use the following commands when in the directory that your .tex file is in:

latex [texfile].tex
dvips -o file.ps [texfile][.dvi]
ps2pdf file.ps file.pdf
open file.pdf

Substitute the correct file names in the commands above with your own! The last line will open your new latex pdf file.

Happy latexing!

No comments:

Post a Comment